You’ve decided to buy a new luggage. How to choose among all the options offered? This guide aims to help you out!
Soft side vs Hardside cases
What are the main points to look for when choosing among hard cell and soft side trolley cases?
- Weight and capacity: Hardside trolley cases used to be quite heavy in the past, but due to new materials and technological innovations, the weight difference today is practically neglectable. Nevertheless, with identical weight when empty, a soft side case often has slightly bigger dimensions, allowing you to take more personal belongings with you.
- The strongest option: Hardside trolley cases offer 100% waterproof protection for your personal belongings inside. Soft cases, on the other hand, are easier to squeeze into overhead compartments, while they do a better job than their molded counterparts in absorbing shocks.
- Practical aspects: Soft side trolley cases usually have handy front pockets and they often come with an expander. However, nowadays, most of these benefits can also be found in hard cases.
Size of luggage
Original design, elegant finishing, bright colours, hi tech fittings … your final choice often depends on your taste. However, selecting the right size for your needs is equally important.
- Trolley Totes: These are the ideal solution especially for business travellers who are looking for a small, wheeled luggage to carry onto the plane. Most Trolley totes are small enough to fit under the seat and can easily be placed on the overhead storage bins. Wheeled totes can hold a single change of clothes, laptop, documents, and any other small items you would like to take with you on the plane.
- Carry-on Luggage: Most airlines have carry on restrictions of 55 x 40 x 20cm. They are ideal for trips of 1-2 days, as most cases of these sizes have enough space to hold your most important belongings for a short trip. Most also have an expansion feature, which allows an additional 3 to 4 cm of packing capacity, but when expanded, these sizes may exceed the carry on restrictions and may have to be checked.
- Medium size Luggage : These sizes are the most popular size of luggage to check, as they are too large to carry onto the plane, but are perfect for trips of 5 to 7 days, or even longer, if you are a true packing master! They have a large capacity for multiple outfits, shoes, and toiletries. These are the best option for luggage to check, they have lots of room to pack but you won't break your back trying to move it.
- Large size Luggage: These are large suitcases meant for trips exceeding a week. They have capacity for anything you would like to travel with. Due to their large size, you can pack several outfits, shoes, toiletries, etc and feel safe that you have with you whatever you may need.